|Birth Name(s) : Neneh Cherry
||Date of Birth: N/A
|<< Add Neneh Cherry To Your Favorites
|Full Neneh Cherry Biography
|Neneh Marianne Karlsson Cherry (born March 10, 1964 in Stockholm) is a Swedish singer, songwriter, rapper, DJ, and occasional broadcaster. Cherry blended hip hop with other influences, and experienced some mainstream success with several of her recordings.|
Cherry was born as Neneh Mariann Karlsson, to a Sierra Leonean father, Amahdu Jah (a drummer) and a Swedish painter/textile artist mother, Monika Karlsson, known as Moki Cherry. Her siblings include the singers Titiyo Jah and Eagle-Eye Cherry. Her step-father Don Cherry raised her since birth so Neneh took his name on.
Cherry lived the first years of her life in the small Swedish town Hässleholm. Regarding her childhood, Cherry said:"My mother is Swedish and she's an artist. She's an amazing lady. When I was a baby and she was going to design school, she used to take me along in a basket!"
In 1984, Cherry and then-husband Bruce Smith ( drummer Rip Rig & Panic ) had their first daughter Naima .
Many members of her family are musicians or artists.
- Her mother is the noted painter and textile artist Moki Cherry.
- Her father is the African-Swedish musician Amadu Jah. A Sierra Leonean percussionist drummer.
- Her stepfather, Don Cherry, was an influential jazz musician.
- Her half-brother Eagle Eye Cherry is also a musician of some international fame.
- Her sister Titiyo Jah is a successful Swedish singer.
- Her half-brother Cherno Jah is a music producer and dj based in Stockholm.
- Her half sister Jan Cherry is a violinist.
- Her half brother David Ornette Cherry is a Jazz musician based in the US.
- Neneh also has a half sibling named Christian Cherry.
- Her stepson Marlon Roudette fronts the British duo Mattafix.
- Her goddaughter is British TV presenter Miquita Oliver. She is the daughter of former Rip Rig & Panic lead and Massive Attack group member Andrea Oliver.
Her single "Buffalo Stance" was an international blockbuster and she caused controversy when she performed the song - complete with gyrating choreography - on UK television show Top Of The Pops while 7-8 months pregnant. Buffalo Stance eventually peaked at number 3 on the UK pop charts and number 1 on the American Dance charts, becoming one of 1988's biggest club anthems.
More singles released between 1988 and 1990 included the slower "Manchild," "Kisses On The Wind," "Heart," and "Inna City Mama." She also found success with "I've Got U Under My Skin," a dramatic reworking of the Cole Porter song, which appeared on the Red Hot + Blue AIDS fundraising album. Lyme disease kept her away from the limelight until 1992.
Her most recent solo album 1996's Man, was led by the track "Woman", a take on the James Brown track "Man's World". It featured the major hit single "7 Seconds", and "Trouble Man" - a remake of the old Marvin Gaye classic.
New solo album, a work in progress since 2003. Neneh plans to finish it after Cirkus's 2007 tour finishes and release should be around mid 2008.
Although Cherry has only released a handful of albums, she has frequently collaborated with other artists.
- "7 Seconds", a collaboration with Youssou N'Dour, was a huge international hit in 1994, remaining on the charts for nearly half a year.
- Cherry also contributed guest vocals on Pulp's UK #1 album This Is Hardcore, singing on the track Seductive Barry.
- Cherry collaborated with Edward Kowalczyk the lead singer of the band Live. They contributed a duet entitled Walk into this Room written by Kowalczyk for the soundtrack to the movie Playing by Heart in 1998.
- In 1999 she covered the ESG song Moody on Christian Falk's debut Quel Bordel.
- She contributed vocals alongside Speech and Ulali on 1 Giant Leap's 2003 song Braided Hair.
- In the 2005 release of Gorillaz's Demon Days, she contributed vocals to the tracks Kids With Guns.
- In 2006 she collaborated with Swedish rapper Petter on his album P and Stockholm electro-dub punks The Teddybears international release Soft Machine.
- She also contributed vocals to the Groove Armada tracks The Groove Is On and Think Twice, featured on the band's album Love Box.
- In 2006 she was featured in the song Yours to Keep by Teddybears.
- In 2006 She is featured on the Agoria track "Million Miles". Released 9 December, 2006
- In 2007 Youssou N'Dour and Neneh release track "Wake Up Africa". Premiered 10 July, 2007
In the spring of 2004, Cherry presented Neneh Cherry's World of music a six part series broadcast on BBC Radio 2.
In April 2007, Cherry presented a six-part cookery show Neneh and Andi - Dish it up with her close friend Andrea Oliver for BBC2.
Due to the impressive performance of "Buffalo Stance," Cherry was nominated for a Grammy Award in 1990 in the Best New Artist Category; she lost out to Milli Vanilli, who later had their Grammy revoked when it was discovered that they had not performed on their recording.
She received her second Grammy nomination in 1994 for the Youssou N'Dour duet "7 Seconds." The single received worldwide acclaim but did not win the Grammy Award.
|Add Neneh Cherry Biography (SuperUSERS) +
|Add Neneh Cherry Review/Comment
HQ Neneh Cherry Pictures (1) | Random Neneh Cherry Picture
|<< Back to the Neneh Cherry Homepage